Configure Client Settings
- April 21, 2022
- Posted by: Pavithra
- Category: End User Computing
Configure Client Settings
Configure Client Settings This part will explain how to create a custom SCCM client setting and how to deploy it.
Client settings are used to configure your deployed agents. This is where you decide any configuration like :
- Enabling hardware inventory agent
- Enabling power settings options
- Enable cloud services
- Set scan schedules
- BITS throttling
In previous versions of SCCM, client settings were specific to the site. You had 1 client settings that applied to all your hierarchy. In SCCM you can specify clients setting at the collection level. You can have different settings for specific collections, overlapping settings are set using a priority setting.
When you modify the Default Client Settings, the settings are applied to all clients in the hierarchy automatically. You do not need to deploy the Default Client Settings to apply it. By default, it has a 10000 priority value (This is the lower priority). All other custom client settings can have a priority value of 1 to 9999 which will always override the Default Client Settings. (The higher Priority is 1).
We won’t explain each client’s settings and their descriptions. The Technet documentation is pretty clear and many of the client settings are self-explanatory. We cannot make any recommendations either as each environment has its own needs and limitations. If you have any questions concerning a specific setting, use the comment section and we’ll try to help you so you can make the right decision for your organization.
HOW TO CREATE CUSTOM CLIENT DEVICE SETTINGS
When you deploy a custom client setting, they override the Default Client Settings.
Before you begin, ensure that you created a collection that contains the devices that require these custom client settings.
For our blog post, we will set the Client Policy polling interval to 15 minutes.
- Open the SCCM console
- Go to Administration / Client Settings
- On the top ribbon, click Create Custom Client Device Settings
HOW TO DEPLOY A CLIENT SETTINGS
Now that your client settings are created, you need to deploy it to a collection. This new client settings will apply to only this collection and depending on the priority, will override the settings.
- Select the custom client settings that you have just created
- On the top ribbon, click Deploy
HOW TO APPLY
Client computers will apply your custom settings when they download their next client policy. You can trigger it manually to speed up the process.
MANUALLY ON THE CLIENT
- In Control Panel, click on the Configuration Manager icon
- In the Action tab, select Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle
- Click Run now
- In the SCCM console
- Go to Assets and Compliance / Device Collections
- Select the device collection containing the computers that you want to download policy
- Right-click a single device or the whole collection and select Client Notification and then Download Computer Policy
Live Instructor-led Online Training